Baker Family Returning Home
After their exchange in Detroit, they made their way back to the "South Branch of the Potomac" to an area believed to be near what is in current times (2017) Romney, West Virginia. This was but a temporary home. Return to the original homestead along the Raccoon Creek is said to be in the early 1780's. One writing states: "They found their cabin in ashes, the clearing overgrown with weeds and thickets, the apple tree they had planted now in blossom, a rose bush became a large wild growth and their well nearly filled with rubbish". This seems to at least indicate their return in early spring.
On March 21, 1786, George Baker applied for a warrant on a plot of land called "Bethlehem" containing 302 acres, 74 perches and allowance of 6% roads. The land was situate on the waters of the Elkhorn Run in Washington County and the cost was listed as one pound, ten shillings and nine pence. The patent was authorized by Thomas Mifflin, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, granted on December 1, 1791. Enrolled in the rolls office of the State of Pennsylvania in Patent Book Volume 18, page 301 and recorded in the Beaver county records volume 1, page 84. The document lists the Patent date as December 3, 1786 with the recorded date as May 8, 1804. This property can be found on the map of Colonial Beaver County by clicking on this link.
The building of a new home began. It was fortified to withstand Indian attacks and large enough to accommodate neighbors during such incursions. This new home was soon called a "blockhouse" and the Baker family became known as:
"The Blockhouse Bakers"