To The Frontier

The movement of George and Elizabeth Nicholson Baker's family to the frontier took place in 1772 to 1774. They traveled down the Ohio river and made camp one evening on the "North Side" of the river at the mouth of the Big Beaver (present time's juncture of the Ohio and Beaver Rivers). They soon found they were not welcome, as Indians in the bluff overlooking the camp shot arrows into the air, as warnings that they were intruding. It seems that a recent treaty had opened the land on the "South Side" of the river to white settlers but the land to the "North" was STILL Indian territory. At daybreak the travelers broke camp and started South. Within a few miles they were at the mouth of a sizable stream. Current times (2017) know this "stream" as Raccoon Creek. They entered the stream and traveled some 4 miles from the Ohio River, to a point where a small rivulet was tumbling down the hill. Investigating, they found a good spring for their water supply and a spot for building a cabin. the spot was strategically located with the creek on one side and a trail, known today as "Brodhead Road", on the other. This land was described by historian Rev. Joseph H. Bausman in 1904 as being then known as the Michael Mateer Farm, situated on a ridge on the east side of the Raccoon Creek. The location of the Mateer Farm is given in Caldwell's Historical Atlas of Beaver County dated 1876. This location can be seen on the Colonial Moon/Center Township map from this link.